Baptism is the first of the three Sacraments of Initiation in the Roman Catholic Church. The other two are Confirmation and Holy Eucharist. The theologian Karl Rahner described baptism as "the sacramental entrance into the church and thus into the fullness of Christian life." Its importance is highlighted in Jesus’ parting words to his disciples, "Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit" (Matthew 28:18).
The parents and godparents of a child who is to be baptized need to refresh themselves on the consequences and responsibilities that accompany the celebration of this sacrament with their child.
The following are some guidelines to follow when celebrating the sacrament of infant baptism (infancy through six years old). If your child is older than six years old, he or she will be enrolled in the order of Christian Initiation of Children (OCIC), and will follow a different preparation format and time period.
- • Parents are to be active and contributing registered members of St. Matthew for a minimum of three months.
- • Parents and sponsors are to participate in preparation classes for the child’s baptism.
- • A godparent chosen by the parents must be a fully initiated Roman Catholic (Baptized, Confirmed and receiving the Eucharist), at least 16 years of age, Confirmed, and, if married, is married in the Church. If unable to attend class at St. Matthew’s, they may attend class in their local parish and provide proof of attendance.
- In Spanish are on the second Saturday of the month.
*For July class is on the 14th from 10am to 3pm (preregistration is required)
- In English on the first Monday of the month.
*For July class is on the 2nd from 6:30pm to 9pm (preregistration is required)
Registrations for Infant Baptism Classes
Parents may register for classes in the parish office Monday thru Thursday from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. You must register for class before attending. Parents and sponsors must attend classes.
The celebration of the Sacrament of Baptism is on the third Saturday of the month.